Monday, October 20, 2008

My Mama's Lentil Soup. From the Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas


This soup is idiot-proof, cheap, and easy. It's good for students [like me!] because it takes three hours to cook and lasts forever in the freezer, which is good if you are on a budget. Plus, it's vegan.

When I was littler, my family and I lived on Government St, near Chinatown, and my mama would give the street people who lived below our building [our condo was above a hair salon] containers of this soup and hot toast. It's warm, filling, and delicious.

In a large pot, add:

2/3 cup dried lentils
4 cups of water
1 onion, chopped fine
4 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery,chopped

Then, simmer it for three hours. Do not forget about your soup. Set your timer.

Sometime, your soup will get a little too thick, like more of a thick stew than a thick soup. Add some more water until it reaches whatever you consider to be a soup.

Then, add:

1 cup tomato paste [or two of those tiny cans]
garlic
thyme
tarragon

Voila. Your soup is finished. Serve with bread; my mama makes amazing focaccia to serve with this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yum and so simple ! oh and don't forget salt