Sunday, January 11, 2009

Samosas!

Today, Kaydee and I made an attempt to connect with my Indian heritage. We popped a Bollywood film on the laptop, and made samosas.

In the filling:

frozen vegetables (mixed, there were corn, green beans and peas)
frozen hashbrowns
half a chopped onion
This awesome curry powder I found at Thrifty's
pepper
a splash of lemon juice

First, I fried together the onion in some canola oil. After it had sauteed for about five minutes, I added the curry powder, the vegetables and the potatoes, the latter of which were still frozen. I stirred it at medium heat for about fifteen minutes, and let it sit on low while Kaydee rolled out the pre-made samosa pastry.

Yesterday, I made the pastry. At the absolute minimum, it should chill for half an hour. Mine chilled for about 24 hours or so.

2 1/2 cups flour (I split this between whole wheat and white, because I tend to add whole wheat to everything)
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup water

Mix together the flour and salt together, add the canola oil, and then the water as needed. Knead until it's smooth and kind of stretchy.

When assembling, what I found works the easiest is if you cut a circle and then cut that in half. Ours were rather small (about three inches across as most, so 1 1/2 wide per half circle), but you can make them bigger. Ours were more appetizer sized. Bring the edges together, and join them together securely, using extra water to really join it together. Stuff with a little bit of the filling (see picture), and then seal in the same manner. You really want to make sure that the edges are securely fastened or else your samosa will fall apart while deep frying.

Pour enough oil in to fill up your pan about half way (don't worry, you can pour it back in afterwards), and fry the samosas until they are done (kind of crunchy, clearly fried and not just browned).

Chutney tastes fabulous with them; we did not have any, they tasted amazing anyway.

No comments: